Wednesday night is one of those nights that I want to cook, inspired by the fact that Top Chef is on, but I often want to keep the meal simple. This recipe has become a weeknight favorite - it sounds fancy, but it's super easy, and it's practically comfort food.
- 12 ounces egg tagliatelle or fettuccine (preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into 1" pieces
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until 1 minute before al dente, about 2 minutes for fresh pasta, longer for dried. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto; sauté until browned, about 3 minutes.
Add reserved pasta water, orange juice, half of zest, and cream; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook, stirring, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and divide among warm bowls.